Srishti Manipal Institute of Art, Design and Technology, offers a 5-year Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program in Post Development Studies and Critical Design Discourse.
The objective of the Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program (MA-PhD) is to undertake research in new areas of transdisciplinary knowledge. The goal is to create a self-motivated community of scholars in these new areas of study.
Practice-based and Practice-led research is encouraged in this program. Upon successful completion and evaluation of their PhD proposal at the end of the fourth semester, students will be admitted into the 3-year PhD program.
Eligibility for Admission
Applicants should have successfully completed any ONE of the following:
- National and International Universities – 3 year Undergraduate Degree
- National and International Universities – 4 year Undergraduate Degree
- Design Institutes - 4 year Undergraduate Diploma in Design
- Professional Institutes - 5 year Undergraduate Degree
Please note that all awarding bodies must be recognised by state and/or central government institutions. Attach two copies of relevant certificates.
An applicant must successfully complete the Postgraduate Program admissions process as outlined in the SMEAT protocol.
Selection Protocols 2020 - Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Programs (For Indian Nationals, NRIs PIO/OCI, Nepal and Bhutan)
Selection Protocols 2020 - Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Programs (For Foreign Nationals)
Fee Schedule 2020 for the Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Programs (MA-PhD) for Indian Applicants
Fee Schedule 2020 for the Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Programs (MA-PhD) for International Applicants
What are the characteristics of the Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program which is both inquiry and practice based?
"Inquiry-based learning is a form of active learning that starts by posing questions, problems or scenarios—rather than simply presenting established facts or portraying a smooth path to knowledge. The process is often assisted by a facilitator. Inquirers will identify and research issues and questions to develop their knowledge or solutions. Inquiry-based learning includes problem-based learning, and is generally used in small scale investigations and projects, as well as research." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquiry-based_learning
"Practice-based professional learning (pbpl) is understood in contrast to 'classroom-' or 'theory-based' learning. It is kindred to terms such as 'work-based learning', 'workplace' or 'work-centred' learning. Distinctive, though, are a concern for professional learning, and the preference for 'practice' rather than 'work'. While it does not disdain propositional knowledge and what is sometimes called 'theory', its prime interest is in the formation of self-renewing and effective professional practices—a distinct theoretical position in its own right."
This unique Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program has the following characteristics
- Upon successful completion of the four semesters of the Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program, qualifying students will be given an opportunity to prepare their doctoral proposal. Click here for further information
- Focuses on developing and extending practice through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary ways, with an emphasis on emerging fields of knowledge
- Provides for learner autonomy through both independent study as well as the opportunity to develop self direct inquiry within frameworks or boundaries of the published curriculum.
- Allows flexibility through a well constructed choice based system comprising of units of learning in the field of specialization and a choice of allied units that allow for transdisciplinary capabilities to be fostered.
- Develops capabilities and habits of mind that allow for professional practice to emerge from contexts and problems posed as part of learning.
- Allows for extensive field-based authentic research and practice.
- Develops an understanding of professional practice from both an independent and industry based perspective.
- Provides an understanding of professional standards and ethics of practice within the course of study
Application Forms 2020-21 (Downloadable)
Instructions for Filling in OFFLINE Application Form (View/Download) >>
Application Form for Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program - Part 1 (View/Download) >>
Application Form for Integrated Postgraduate - Doctoral Program (MA-PhD) - Part 2 (View/Download) >>
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the (PDF) files that you download. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site. Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.