The 4-year Undergraduate Professional Program in Design and Fine Arts is committed to training students in the various fields of art and design with a focus on cross-disciplinary education. The program exposes students to an exploratory and creative learning process with a focus on experiential learning.
During the course of studies, an individual concentrates on the building of basic technical and conceptual skills in art, design and technology organized under particular Design philosophies and principles. Students are provided with context-based learning in real world and complex scenarios that will hone both their technical and conceptual skills in the following areas
Courses in Design
Bachelor of Design (B.Des)
Courses in Fine Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
One-year Foundation Studies Program during which students get introduced to a broad interdisciplinary contextual approach towards cultural and critical enquiry as an over arching principle of creative art and design practice.
Two-year Studio Based Programs where students may navigate, explore and experience courses offered in various disciplines.
One-year Project Based Program which allows for synthesis and consolidation of skills, positions and perspectives.
Eligibility for Admission
Applicants should have successfully completed any one of the following:
- State Board, Junior College, Intermediate, HSSC, PUC, Senior Secondary
- State Board of Technical Education – Diploma equivalent to PUC/Class 12
- National and International Boards – CBSE / ISC / IB / AICE / A Levels
- National Institute of Open Schooling, New Delhi (NIOS) – Senior Secondary
- High School Diploma (USA / CANADA) – Senior Secondary completed with equivalence as per AIU
Please note that all awarding bodies must be recognised by state and/or central government institutions. Attach two copies of relevant certificates.
An applicant must successfully complete the 4 Year Undergraduate Professional Program admissions process as outlined in the SMEAT protocol.
Selection Protocols 2022 - Undergraduate Professional Program
(For Indian Nationals, NRIs PIO/OCI, Nepal and Bhutan)
Will be published soon.
Fee Schedule 2022 - Undergraduate Professional Program
Will be published soon.
What are the characteristics of a 4 Year Undergraduate Professional Program?
At Srishti Manipal the 4 Year Undergraduate Professional Program, allows learning within social, cultural and economic contexts that allow for the development of a professional practice that is India-centric.
The 4 Year Undergraduate Program has as its underpinning principle the notion of context based learning which is defined as
Context-based learning, CBL, refers to the use of real-life and imaginary scenarios in teaching-learning environments in order to learn through the actual, practical experience with a subject rather than just its mere theoretical parts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-based_learning)
The 4 Year Undergraduate Program at Srishti Manipal has the following characteristics:
- Duration of a minimum of 4 years ( 8 semesters) to earn a university degree – Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
- Has points of exit and entry that allows for the extension of the 4 years or 8 semesters to a maximum of 6 years ( with drop or repeat of semesters)as per the published norms
- Borrowing from principles of undergraduate liberal education the program is broad-based
- Has a common Foundation year ( two semesters) which is terminal ( all regulatory requirements must be met before transitioning to Semester 3 and is common to all professional tracks.
- Allows flexibility through a well constructed choice based system comprising of declared major and minors from the third semester onwards
- Develops capabilities and habits of mind that allow for professional practice to emerge from contexts and problems posed as part of learning.
- Is experiential and allows for extensive field-based authentic learning and practice.
- Develops an understanding of professional practice from both an independent and industry based perspective
- Clear escalation to levels of higher learning (such as a Masters or Masters cum Doctoral Programs of study). (Click here to view)
- Access to the creative industries through projects and internships; access to international collaborations through exchange programs and to visiting artists/scholars/designers from across the world through its winter interim semester.
- Professional standards and ethics of practice incorporated in the program.
- Opportunities to join industry/creative studio at a professional level or practice as an independent artist or designer.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the (PDF) files that you download. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site. Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.